Thursday, January 29, 2009

Not What You'd Think



If you are from New Mexico then you are used to people being surprised that we don't live in a place that has only a desert climate. Used to their surprise when they find out it can rain or snow or get cold in a desert climate. Perhaps it's too many old western movies, but I think many people see this part of the country as dry and arid, littered with cacti and rattlesnakes, something like a lone outpost before you drop off the end of the world.

I've said it before and if I keep up this blog I'll say it yet a hundred times (or more) again. This state is gorgeous because of it's diversity at every level. Everywhere you look it's different. Different from other parts of the country, different from other parts of the state.

One of my favorite things about cool weather in NM is the sunsets. I love sunsets year around, but something about the Autumn and Winter seasons does something to the way the sky looks, and I am smitten. The photo above is from fall, this time of year there tends to be more blues in the gradient, deep purples and cool tones that look like the sun is melting into the polar caps.

I am still in Albuquerque this time of day during the winter. I drive home between about 5 and six pm, and the sun is well on it's way to bed by that time. In the summer the sun can be up a couple of hours later easily, so I miss some of the more spectacular sunsets.

In December my family purchased a cabin in Ruidoso, which is south and est of here. It's about a three hours drive or so, and gorgeous views. I will take photos next time and share them and the details later. When we were looking at the cabin to buy it in November I was thrilled to see bucks ready for the rutting season. Seeing deer is no big deal, I have had that pleasure just driving along the roadside. But some of the boys were beautiful, and I got some lovely images. Just thought I'd share a few so you could enjoy them too. ;)