Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Political Ramblings

New Mexico's politics, like it's food, culture and weather, are a unusual and varied mix that is often hard to define easily in words.

There was a time when I followed politics in my home state very closely. Back then I did legislative advocacy on behalf of the company I worked for as well as the homeless vets we provided services for. Things changed, and I became more than a little soured by the way "things work", so I turned much of a blind eye to the whole process for the next few years. Shame on me, I know. Ignorance is not bliss.

The elections this year turned that around for me. I have been strongly opposed to seeing another four to eight years of Republican reign on any level, be it national or here locally. So I started paying attention, asked questions, and read more than I have read in years. (I am a voracious reader, so this is saying something.)

Having voted early I waited with bated breath and breathed a sigh of relief when Obama as well as the local politicians I had voted for all slid easily into the winning positions. I had barely registered the anxiety I was having until it eased away. Now that the elections are over, you'd think I'd lull back into my normal routine, but that has been impossible. The feeds I have subscribed to still come in the email, and I read them with increasing interest, the bloggers I keep an eye on remind me daily why I care, and I find myself unable to detach. This is a good thing.


So it is no surprise that when I heard that Val Kilmer may be running as our states New Governor I perked my eyes and ears. I have heard a great deal of negative feedback from other bloggers, and my first urge is to follow suit. However, he hasn't run yet, number one, and two, even should he run there's a lot more information out there I want to hear, not just from the grapevine.

Would I vote for him? I have no idea. Right now I don't have any candidate I am considering. But when I read Kilmer's comments: "It's been my home 25 years. I really love my state. Poor, hardworking, decent people - Native Americans, carpenters, artists, expats mixed in with hundreds of the world's smartest physicists at Los Alamos. I've always thought of myself as functioning as a candidate for them..." "...After I wrap this film, I'm off to LA to see my kids then home to New Mexico to talk to friends and see what they say. I know I'm not yet qualified for the job. It's not like I need fame. If that's what it's all about, I wouldn't live in New Mexico. But I don't want to be a train wreck. I have to see if people will put up the money for my run. I have to think about putting my acting on hold. Being famous as a movie actor is one thing, but they take no prisoners in politics. I have to think what this might do to my kids."

I have to admire someone who loves their home and considers giving service to it. It's easy to sit at home and shout about whats wrong with the politics from the couch, it's a whole new ballgame to get your feet wet and try to be part of the solution. And I have tons of respect for anyone who considers their family in that equation.